By popular demand we are posting Rewild Portland’s secret Allergen-Free Dandelion Donuts (also called dandelion fritters) recipe for all to enjoy.
(Wheat Free, Gluten Free, Corn Free, Soy Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free)
1 cup Arrowroot Flour
1 cup Water
3 tbs Flax Seed (as egg replacement)
9 tbs Water (for flax seed egg replacement)
3/4 tsp of Aluminum-Free Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
1/2 tsp Powdered Stevia
1. Gather dandelion flowers from a place you know has not been chemically sprayed or is too close to a roadside where it will collect metals and other pollutants. Take just the fresh, newly opened flower tops, pinching them off with little or no stem attached. (Be sure to say thank you to the plant)
2. In a large bowl mix together 1 cup arrowroot flour, 3/4 tsp of baking powder, 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1/2 tsp powdered stevia (or sweeten to your liking).
3. Grind up 3 tbs flax seed. Coffee bean grinders work very well for this.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the 3 tbs finely ground flax seed with 9 tbs water. Stir until thick and sticky.
5. Add sticky flax seed mix to arrowroot flour mix and stir.
6. Add one cup of water and stir until it has a nice pancake batter consistency; not too watery but not too thick.
7. Heat up a frying pan with olive oil in it.
8. Dip the dandelion heads into the batter, covering them completely with the batter and then place them in the frying pan.
9. When one side is fried and crispy, flip and cook the other side the same way you would a pancake but a little crispier.
10. Once cooked through, put on a plate to cool and then eat them!
This batter works well for all kinds of other bready-type replacements. I use it in place of pancakes, and even in place of tortillas. Enjoy!